Southern Gospel legend, Ed Hill has passed away. Hill was one of the founding members of The Prophets Quartet in 1959. He served as baritone and manager for the group for most of the life of the group.
Hill retired The Prophets Quartet in 1973, joining JD Sumner And The Stamps, in the baritone position. This is the configuration of the group that served as backup for Elvis Presley from 1971 until his death in 1977. Hill was responsible each evening at the end of the Elvis concerts for uttering that famous phrase, “Elvis has left the building.”
Ed Hill would go on to be a part of The Singing Americans, Masters V and finally The Songefellows Quartet. He was inducted into the SGMA Hall of Fame in 2009.